Today's networks are holding organisations back
Business and IT leaders in global organisations know their future lies in the cloud. But their current networks aren’t delivering the performance, coverage and flexibility needed to adopt new technologies and operate securely in multi-cloud environments.
Building future networks for a cloud-based world Download joint BT and Microsoft research
What's driving network transformation?
Many organisations are struggling to achieve business goals with their current networks:
say big data and AI will require a network upgrade
can't deploy apps because of network limitations
say data sovereignty drives network upgrade
say cost prevents development of network services
Cloud-based networks are the future
Over the next five years, the majority of organisations (86%) are planning to move most or all of their IT infrastructure and applications to the cloud.
In fact, over 60% of organisations predict that their future infrastructure will be primarily internet based with SD-WAN, SASE and other solutions enabling private secure connectivity and reach to the cloud.
Seeking an infrastructure partner
Our research found that when looking to upgrade network infrastructure, organisations are now seeking partners and solutions that will enable them to achieve:
As organisations move towards a new world of cloudification, access to support and expertise will be critical. Global organisations need to choose a partner with services that help them thrive and bring a strong track record of innovation, delivery, support and choice.
IT leaders want straightforward solutions to overcome the complexity associated with configuring routing, security rules, remote site management and change control.
Organisations want self-service network functionalities so they can centrally monitor and manage their cloud connections and determine the end-to-end path of their data.
Many organisations are looking for network solutions that deliver clear sustainability benefits, such as reduced CO2 emissions, with a clear expectation that cloudification is the key to unlocking this.
The seven key qualities of a future network
What an organisation needs is a network designed and built to provide a strong and secure foundation for their applications, devices and data. They should be on the lookout for these seven key network qualities:
1. Commercial flexibility: It’s critical organisations can easily right-size, terminate and add new services. They need a pay-as-you-use solution that’s scalable with assured performance – all with predictability on price.
2. Real-time flexible network management: Some traditional managed services are inflexible, difficult to scale and have long lead times. Delivering the functionality that organisations need and want is likely to involve building in a programmable automated underlay to support the real-time provision of network assets and burstable bandwidth.
3. A network that supports hybrid infrastructure: Organisations need a solution that will support distributed workloads and optimise application performance across their hybrid estates.
4. A programmable, software-defined, intelligent underlay: New networks must align a programmable automated underlay with the overlay to deliver better vertical support and performance delivery.
5. Data sovereignty and regulation requirements: Organisations require solutions such as intelligent routing and resilience in peering within regions to address regulatory requirements.
6. Secure solutions and rapid deployment options: Ideal network infrastructure security provides holistic protection – from Proof of Concept (POC) to early lifecycle and then throughout its in-life service.
7. A sustainable IT and network infrastructure: Modern network solutions need to allow for reduced emissions as well as an accounting methodology for greenhouse gases.
Building your future network
As your organisation moves towards the new world of cloudification, access to support and expertise will be crucial.
With our strong track record of innovation, delivery, support and choice - we’re ready to help you build the network you need.
Unlock your infrastructure and expand as a digital business.Learn more
In partnership with Microsoft, our research explores how global organisations use network infrastructure today, and their plans for tomorrow.Learn more
Meet current and future needs with secure services optimised for performance and value.Learn more